When I finished my last blog post, I was beginning the process of researching the next steps to getting published. There was a little more to it than I originally thought so I am very thankful I started early!
I began by taking a break from my WIP which was really nice. I was able to let the story sit for a week or so and be able to return to it with a fresh set of eyes and a few new ideas to add in the third draft. I am currently working on chapter 11 of 19 so I am making decent progress. Once this draft is finished, I will be comfortable enough with it to send it off to an editor. Once it returns, I will go through all of their suggestions and edits and it should be ready to go! Eeeeek! I cannot wait for that moment!
Before I started any research, I made a list of things I needed to find out or price out before being able to print my book. Here is a list I came up with:
- Photographer (I was originally going to shoot my own cover)
- Bakery (Prop for the cover shoot)
- Stock Photos
- Cover Designer
- ISBN Number
- Print size for the book
- Page color (cream vs. white)
- Price points (Both print and digital)
- Printing company
- Business Cards
Once I made the list, I’m not going to lie, it was a bit overwhelming!!! Being that I am self publishing, I am trying to keep my costs down, at least for the first book. I am most likely going to shoot my own covers for the next two books but after looking through what seemed like hundreds of stock photos, I think I have found the perfect one!! (insert happy dance). Once I decided to cut out the photographer and props, it will lessen my costs by roughly $150. To me, that seems to be the smart play.
With the same list as above, here is the breakdown for the costs of what it will most likely take to get my book to print:
- Stock Photos: $10-$20 depending on the membership
- Cover Designer: $70 for digital, additional $50 for full print layout
- Editor: $200-$400, depending on which editor you hire
- Copyright: $35
- ISBN Number: 1-$125 or 10-$250. I plan to do 10 as I have 2 more WIP’s
- Print size for the book: Thinking 8.5 x 5.5, based on personal preference
- Page color (cream vs. white): I decided on cream
- Price points (Both print and digital): Still working on this one!
- Printing company: Createspace is so far my choice and user friendly
- Business Cards: Had a coupon code, got 500 for $10!! Score!
- Formatting: Unknown, still need to research this one further
With all of that above, estimating of course, is roughly $700. I know that there are very cheap ways to go about publishing a book but there are definitely corners I am not willing to cut. If I had to choose one of the above to spend your money on, it would be editor first, and cover design second. (Yes, I know that’s two, haha) One will make the inside look great, and the other will make the outside look great. Both are very important elements and neither should be taken lightly.
My plan is to make a “For Writers” page on my website with all of the links and companies I use to hopefully help anyone else looking into writing and publishing a book. I have found some wonderful ones on other author’s websites and I love how this writing community is so helpful towards one another. Please let me know if you have any questions, I am always here to help aspiring writers!
**Are you a writer or a reader? Or both? What is your preferred genre?
I’d love to hear from you!