Last night I finished my third go round on my manuscript. It has taken me 9.5 months to get to this point and I’m happy to say I am still enjoying it and excited to move forward. I’m sure this timeline is long for some people, but for me, it is what works. As a family of six, they will always come first, making my time to write days apart some weeks. With school starting soon, I’m sure I will have a little more time to work but for now I am happy with any progress. I may not be the hare but the turtle did finish the race.
Over the past day or so, I have made a few more steps in the right direction to proceed with publishing. Along with the initial research I did in my last post (found Here) I have proceeded to contact several people who offer the services I need.
This afternoon I placed an ad looking for an editor on Upwork and so far had five people apply. After reading through their resumes, feedback, and work experience, I have narrowed it down to one lady I think will be a great fit. I emailed her back after her initial contact with me and I will wait to see where it goes! It was definitely scary putting myself out there but I know that this is a huge part of the process and I’m excited to see where it takes me.
I also put out feelers in a Facebook group I am in for someone to do the formatting for both the print version and the e-book. I am planning on offering both formats for each of my novels. I played around today with a few ways to format and after an hour of frustration, I determined that it is worth the cost to pay someone to do it for me.
One last thing I did was look through some more stock photos for my other future covers. I have roughly mapped out four books for this series; 3 novels and 1 novella. I am definitely more of a visual person so I thought if I found the perfect cover, the story will come. It turns out, I found the perfect cover for all four books!! I played around with a photo editing website this morning, placing my titles and name on each of the samples. It was really cool to see them all lined up in a row! Little things like that really keep me going and get me excited about creating more books.
I am hoping to hear back from the editor in the next couple of days and will hopefully proceed with that as my next step. The cover is chosen but I cannot proceed with that until I have a final page count for the designer to be able to size the spine just right. I’m learning there are definitely steps you have to take in a certain order along the way. Through trial and error, I will find my way through it.